Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental disorder that can usually be detected in early childhood and is characterized by challenges in verbal and nonverbal communication, social interaction, and repetitive behaviors.
Common Signs Of Autism By Age
- By 6 months: No big smiles or joyful expressions
- By 9 months: No sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions
- By 12 months: No babbling or communicative gestures such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving
- By 16 months: No words
- By 24 months: No two word phrases
Common Symptoms Of Autism
- Avoiding eye contact
- Delayed speech development or loss of speech
- Limited or no interactions with peers
- Repetitive speech (Echolalia) or body movement
- Struggle with change in daily routine
- Delayed movement skills
- Delayed cognitive or learning skills
- Delayed language skills
- Unusual sleeping and eating habits
If your child exhibits any of the above, or you have questions related to your child’s development, don’t delay in addressing your concerns with your pediatrician.
As an ABA service provider, the Golden Steps team has the experience, knowledge, and compassion needed to help your family embrace autism and navigate the road to success.