What Is The Maryland Autism Waiver?
The Maryland Autism Waiver is a program designed to provide support and services to children with autism and their families. The program is administered by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and is funded by Medicaid.
Who Is Eligible For The Maryland Autism Waiver?
To be eligible for the Maryland Autism Waiver, a child must meet the following criteria:
- Be diagnosed with autism before the age of 21
- Be a resident of Maryland
- Be enrolled in Medicaid
- Meet the clinical eligibility criteria for the program
The clinical eligibility criteria for the program include a diagnosis of autism, a need for intensive services, and a recommendation from a licensed health care provider.
What Services Are Covered By The Maryland Autism Waiver?
The Maryland Autism Waiver provides a range of services to eligible children and their families, including:
- Applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy
- Speech and language therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Respite care
- Family training and support
- Specialized equipment and supplies
The program also provides case management services to help families navigate the complex health care system and access the services they need.
How Does The Maryland Autism Waiver Work?
Once a child is determined to be eligible for the Maryland Autism Waiver, a team of professionals works with the family to develop an individualized service plan (ISP). The ISP outlines the services and supports the child will receive and is reviewed and updated regularly to ensure that it continues to meet the child's needs.
The services provided through the Maryland Autism Waiver are delivered by a network of approved providers who have been trained and certified to provide services to children with autism. The providers are reimbursed for their services through the Medicaid program.
What Are The Benefits Of The Maryland Autism Waiver?
The Maryland Autism Waiver provides a range of benefits to eligible children and their families, including:
- Access to high-quality, evidence-based services and supports
- Improved outcomes for children with autism, including increased communication skills, improved social interactions, and decreased challenging behaviors
- Reduced stress and burden on families by providing respite care and other support services
- Improved quality of life for children with autism and their families
The Maryland Autism Waiver is a vital program that provides much-needed support and services to children with autism and their families.
By providing access to high-quality, evidence-based services and supports, the program helps children with autism reach their full potential and improves their quality of life.
If you have a child with autism in Maryland, the Maryland Autism Waiver may be able to help you access the services and supports you need to support your child's development and well-being.